Saturday, March 21, 2009

Serving Others to Live; Living to Serve Others

Over the past few weeks, I have asked God am I really cut out to do this. Not because I don't like to help others but because of the hurt I see daily.

We get new clients almost every day. Whether it's a woman battling breast cancer, or a man battling prostate cancer or a child battling leukemia, I see and hear the expressions of their loved ones. The sadness and the joy.

Why Sadness? The emotional struggle those battling cancer face is tremendous. To know that one is in a fight that will end in their death if not one is alarming. Imagine going to the doctor because you have a pain in your lower back only to learn that it's bone cancer. What about being health conscious, having regular check-ups, go for a routine check up and be diagnosed with testicular cancer. The fear that initially comes upon the person is like an emotional sledge hammer.

Not to mention the financial mack truck barreling down on the person. Once diagnosed, the person then has to take time off for tests - bone scan, MRI, CAT Scans, blood tests, urine tests, tissue samples, ultrasounds, biopsies, physical exams etc. We are initially talking a few hours here and there. Once the hours start to add up it equates to financial burden on the person and their family.

Just think... If I am a parent working 40 hr/wk making $21/hr - I earn $840 before taxes weekly. Now I get diagnosed with cancer.... I have a blood test and a physical this week and it will take a half day (4 hrs). Next week I have to meet with the oncologist and have a ultra sound (1 day). The next week I have to meet to discuss chemo options and schedule port surgery (1 day). We haven't completed the first month and I already have missed 2.5 days of work or 20 hours or $420 from my household income. The doctors recommend 8 rounds of chemo given every other week. For 4 months my income will be affected by my ability to deal with the sickness and nausea of chemo. It's said that ones down a couple of days after a treatment. In this case that would be at least 4 days a month / 32 hours / $672 out of the household income - and this doesn't not include the $50 co-pay / doctor visit.

The financial burden is mounting. Prior to Christians Overcoming Cancer (COC) limited financial assistance was available to those who were income eligible (below 175% poverty level - less than $3,216 monthly for a family of four) that included rent assistance up to $600 (once a year); utility assistance up to $250 annually.

The reality is a cancer treatment plan may last 6 to 9 months, with a need for assistance occurring several times. For this reason we exist.

Why Joy? When the clients referred to COC learn about our programs they are so overwhelmed with joy and relief knowing that there is someone there to offer the much needed financial support. Not just one time but however often the support is needed until the journey is completed.

In the end, God revealed that Yes, I am more than cut out to handle what comes COCs way. By living the journey myself I have been given an up close and personal understanding of what others face. As a result God's developed in me the ability to have empathy and compassion greater than ever before. Thus the reason I know that I am cut out for this....

I serve others to live and I live to serve others.

Mary Jenkins, President/CEO
Christians Overcoming Cancer
35 E Gay Street, Suite 500-B
Columbus, Ohio 43215
Office: 614-227-9400
Direct: 614-805-1253
Website: www.christiansovercomingcancer.com
Email: mary@christiansovercomingcancer.com

1 comment:

  1. Keep running the race, you are being a real blessing to many from the way it sounds! My dadhas cancer. He is retired, and his insurance is doing well for him so far, but I can't imagine if he was still working, and if he didn't have insurance. He has already had two hospital stays for over a week each, and one unsuccessful surgery. He now has daily radiation and weekly chemo! Be encouraged, and do not become weary in well doing! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete