Tuesday, March 24, 2009

We are so unique....

I often wonder how is it that everyone who engages COC immediately wants to help. I know people have amazing hearts, it's just that sometimes it seems so much more.

Today I learned why?

I had a conversation with a "well-known, national cancer organization" today who basically said it was okay if we worked together but we would never have a collective fundraiser. I was stunned for a minute....

What did they mean?

Well, they meant exactly what they said! They even explained it to me.

The conversation went like this...

Ms. Jenkins we are so pleased with the way things have been working out. The people we've referred to you truly appreciate your help. My response was " Thank you so much _____. I am glad to hear they like our service. I believe we will be able to help more people as we work together for outreach, financial assistance and with fundraising activities."

I might as well as cussed!

The person responded "Huh um' no we can work together but we will never fundraise together, we keep what we raise."

All I could think of was "WOW!" Why? Because we could raise much more together than appart. They then told me that they would welcome COCs help but could not give any monies raised to us.

So this truly confirmed our position.... HOW?

I learned yesterday that an organization providing cancer support services is having a fundraiser. A silent auction and was requesting help from volunteers to secure items for it.

I knew I could make some calls and get about $300 worth of stuff. I informed the Exec Director that COC was offering items for them to auction.

They were AMAZED! They said "groups don't just help others like this. The small nonprofits are just raising money trying to stay afloat."

My thoughts were and are.....

Man, the trust we have in God to supply our needs allows us to be a blessing to others as they work to meet their need. We are truly unique!

No comments:

Post a Comment